Mission & History
Learn More >
Learn More >
Learn More >
Learn More >
AmeriCorps VISTA Nutrition Coordinator
Start Date: Negotiable
The mission of the Arkansas Hunger Relief Alliance is to collaborate as a statewide voice advancing equitable solutions of hunger. The AmeriCorps VISTA Nutrition Coordinator is part of the Arkansas Hunger Relief Alliance’s Nutrition Education team, whose work includes Cooking Matters, the Arkansas Fruits and Vegetable Prescription Program, and the Nutrition Pantry Program.
Cooking Matters helps families and caregivers on a limited food budget, shop for and prepare healthy meals at home. We support a network of statewide partners that lead cooking classes and grocery store tours. Participants learn about cooking, meal prep, grocery shopping, food budgeting, and nutrition.
The Arkansas Fruits and Vegetable Prescription Program AFVPP is a USDA-funded, 3-year project with the goal of increasing the fresh fruit and vegetable consumption of 500 patients struggling with diet-related health conditions like obesity, high blood pressure, and diabetes. Patients will be able to purchase fruits and vegetables as part of their treatment plan.
The Nutrition Pantry Program uses a holistic approach to create health-focused, client- centered emergency food distributions and trauma informed nutrition education. NPP works to improve health equity by improving the quality of foods offered at pantries and ensuring availability of foods that are appropriate for different cultures and health needs.
The VISTA member will fight hunger by coordinating nutrition education to empower families with the skills they need to make budget-friendly healthy food choices and prepare nutritious meals as a key step in their path to food security.
- Expand Cooking Matters nutrition education outreach to SNAP-eligible participants to learn to shop for and prepare healthy meal on a budget, and link CM participant survey data to long-term improvements in nutrition access
- Coordinate nutrition education with health clinics for the AFVPP, and work with the research team to track healthy food purchases and health outcomes of the patients, and train nutrition educators to implement Cooking Matters
- Build capacity for NPP to help pantries source fresh, healthier food paired with trauma-informed nutrition education, and work closely with the food banks in Arkansas to train participating pantries, assess pantry goals, and report to NPP creator, Leah’s Pantry
- Work with supervisor to set personal goals and follow the work plan created for the AmeriCorps VISTA Member.
- Submit timesheets and monthly reports in accordance with AmeriCorps guidelines
- Participate in national, state, and other trainings and professional development opportunities as requested – some may require travel out of state.
- Maintain a high level of working knowledge related to hunger, nutrition standards, regulations, and trends.
- Meet and collaborate with other Arkansas Hunger Relief Alliance departments, as necessary, to ensure high-quality service to individuals within our network of agencies, members, and partners.
- Full time commitment for a year
- Living Allowance: $675.08 pre-tax bi-weekly (1350.16 pre-tax per month or $16,201.92
pre-tax per year)
- End of term Education Award: $6595 (Pell grant amount)
- Relocation Allowance (if moving over 50 miles)
- Nights and weekends may be required
- Some travel may be required
Skills and Qualifications:
- Excellent organizational skills
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Comfortable speaking in public and with new people
- Strong computer skills, proficient in data tracking software and/or Excel
- Ability to manage multiple projects at one time
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Works well on a team and independently
The Alliance Alert goes out to members, advocates and others who want to stay up on hunger issues in Arkansas. See our latest newsletter.